9.02.2007

The Stash That Ate Brooklyn!




Today I decided to organize my knitting supplies. I was very optimistic when I planned this little project for myself yesterday. I went out and bought Wicker nesting baskets - the lined ones. I got 2 sets of 5 Baskets in varying sizes. Not expensive at all and adorable. I made out a plan of attack and gave myself 3 hours tops to get my project done.

Ummm...well...I started pulling out yarn that I forgot I had from the back of almost every closet in the house. My living room floor was covered with yarn in varying fiber, textures and colors. It looked like a yarn monster threw up all over my house.

I was shocked! I stood there and couldn't believe that I had purchased so much yarn and it was all sitting in bags and boxes in the back of closets. Of course some of it was left over from projects that I had completed, but I also have a lot of yarn that I bought because I had to have it. It was too beautiful to pass up and I had to have it! I also have 2 daughters with the same compulsion of buying yarn that was just too hard to leave in the store. So try and visualize the pile I am talking about.

Bravely, I decided to press forward and complete the task I set for myself. With my son looking over my shoulder and making smart-assed comments like "Mom, I think you have enough yarn to knit the hole in the ozone layer closed", I began to organize my yarn by weights. (I can now make a lot of socks for Christmas gifts.)

Once I was done - I started the unpleasant job of untangling the yarns that got knotted in the bottom of wherever I stuck them and the ones my daughter Cris used. She's got a knack for tangling yarn. It's a special talent that only she possesses. That took a few more hours that I planned.

Once I got everything organized - I realized that those lovely wicker baskets weren't really going to help - what was I thinking?! Was I really that unaware of how much yarn I had? Not bloody likely! It was just wishful thinking.

So - I roused my husband and sent him out for storage bins. 4 1/2 hours later, I was putting my yarns in the really large zipper bags and placing them in the bins. I have four bins in total, The yarn is all sorted by weight and in some cases fiber, organized and labeled. I even got up the energy and sorted out my needles and notions and organized them in the wicker baskets and put them on top of the bins.

It took my a bit longer than planned but I accomplished my task! Yay me!!! Now I can focus on my knitting and crocheting. Oh, and i've promised not to buy anymore yarn until my stash is gone. :-( That's gonna be a challenge. Well, I guess i'll be making a lot of scarves, hats and socks for the holidays!!

No comments: