9.29.2007

Knitting in New York


Being a knitter in New York City is almost sinful! We have such a huge variety of yarn stores to choose from. If there's something you want and can't find at one store - jump on the subway uptown or down and I guarantee you'll find it at another. I have quite a few that I love to visit, but my absolute favorite two are School Products and Seaport Yarn.

Until recently, I worked 2 blocks from School Products and during lunch or after a stressful day of work I would just walk over and de-stress by enjoying the texture of the yarn. Located at 1201 Broadway - just off of 28th Street - it's easy to get to and has the most amazing selection of high quality speciality yarns. You can buy cones of yarn, designer leftovers, delicious Italian merinos, cashmere, angoras and camels. If it all sounds too rich for your blood don't worry, you can find the most amazing deals in their bargain bins. There is something here for everyone and it is defiantly worth a look.

Seaport Yarn, my other absolute favorite NYC yarn store, is a little off the beaten path - but, Oh! it's worth it! My first trip to Seaport was about 2 years ago. I had been buying yarn from small local shops and needed a specific yarn that they did not have. Nothing could have ever prepared me for what I was about to experience. As I walked in I was met in a small foyer by a very friendly staff member. She asked if you need any help - of course I said "no", as I wanted to browse. She smiled and said if I needed any help to just holler...and then she opened the doors to paradise!

Seaport Yarns is located in an office building at 135 William Street on the Fifth Floor. It is an office space. A rather large space, with many different rooms. All those rooms are filled from floor to ceiling with yarns. All types of yarns. All colors, adn variations. The hallways are lined with cubbys filled with yarn. I don't think there is a bare inch of wall or tabletop space. It's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

I didn't know which way to turn. I was in shock and it showed. That first day, I walked out with only the yarn I went there to buy. Nothing else. I was that overwhelmed! Of course, that no longer happens. Seaport has been the main contributor to my burgeoning stash. I don't blame them. They can't help being so damned addictive! So reader - Beware! Walking into Seaport Yarns may fuel an addiction you never knew you had.

Along with School products and Seaport Yarns, I have added a list of my favorite yarn stores to visit while in NYC and a list of really great yarn websites. Although buying yarn from the Internet is sometimes convenient, it will never replace the sheer pleasure of walking into a yarn store and touching the yarn. Part of knitting for me is the texture of the yarn as it slides through my fingers. I love the experience. It's one of my absolute favorite things to do. Enjoy your kniiting and feel up a skein every once in a while. And when you are in Nwe York City, Dop by some of our "local yarn stores", but be prepared to fall in love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.